- Professor Graham Miller to become Surrey’s new Executive Dean for the Faculty for Arts and Social Sciences.
- Professor Miller, who has worked at the University for 13 years, has been serving in the role on an interim basis.
- An expert in his field, Professor Miller holds a number of prestigious positions across industry and academia
Professor Miller, who had been serving in this position on an interim basis, was previously Head of the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management for nearly six years.
Joining the university in 2003, Professor Miller’s research has focused on the transition to a more sustainable tourism industry. His research has assessed the economic and social potential of more accessible forms of tourism in Europe and most recently designed the system of monitoring the sustainability of tourism now employed by tourism destinations across Europe.
Due to his expertise in the hospitality and tourism field Professor Miller has held a number of prestigious roles in the industry including the role of expert advisor to the European Commission, co-editor of the Journal Sustainable Tourism and the Lead judge for the prestigious World Travel and Tourism Council’s Tourism for Tomorrow awards.
Vice-Chancellor, Professor Max Lu, added: “Graham is an exceptional leader and his appointment not only reflects his breadth of experience within the Faculty, but his research excellence and his strong relationships with key industry contacts.
“The University will benefit greatly from his positive attitude and collaborative approach, and I am confident that he will be able to drive the Faculty forward to achieve even greater success.”
Professor Miller said: “Having worked within the Faculty for 13 years, I am delighted to have been appointed as Executive Dean and I look forward to working with colleagues to build on our many successes.
“Our strength is in the collaboration of our Schools within the Faculty, and I would like to extend this way of working to all colleagues at Surrey, to work across disciplines for the very best student experience and research impact.”
University of Surrey Press Office
- Out-of-hours: +44 (0)7773 479911
Senate House, University of Surrey
Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
Professor Graham Miller
Executive Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Professor of Sustainability in Business
- Accounting and Finance
- Business and Management
- Computer Games, Media and Film Production
- English Literature and Creative Writing
- Hospitality, Events, Tourism and Transport
- Language, Communication and Translation Studies
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Sport and Exercise Sciences